One of the perks of Travis's position on the Arkansas AIA Board is that he gets invited to attend the AIA Grassroots Convention in Washington DC. I have never been, so we decided it would be fun for me to tag along. Thankfully, the grandparents were more than willing to divide and conquer all our kids and their activities so I could go!
We left really early on Wednesday morning from the Ft. Smith airport. We had a really long layover in Atlanta, then we got into DC around mid-afternoon. We had planned to ride the Metro to the nearest stop by our hotel, but we weren't anticipating that it would be pouring rain! By the time we navigated the Metro and walked several blocks in the rain, we were SUPER glad to be there!
After we checked in and got dry and settled, i was determined to get started sight-seeing. I was on a mission to see everything I possible could over the next 4 days! So, I took off to the nearest Metro station all by myself!! I was super nervous, and anyone that understands my sense of direction would understand why:) But, after a couple of close calls, I got off the Metro at the Smithsonian stop on the Capital Mall. It was freezing and yucky, and drizzling rain. My first impression left a lot of be desired. All I wanted to do was get inside somewhere. I headed to the Smithsonian American History Museum. It looked cold and dreary from the outside. But when I got inside, I figured out that every teenaged Spring Breaker in the country was also inside this museum! I fought my way to the top floor and toured all the presidential history stuff. I LOVED the First Ladies dresses. SO cool! I only had about an hour before the museum closed for the day, but I looked at as much as I could, then headed back to the hotel.
That night I tagged along with the other guys from Arkansas AIA and went to an awesome dinner in an old fire station. I enjoyed the company and conversation even though I was the only female in the group:).
The next morning I got up and got ready to head out again. Thank goodness it was beautiful and sunny! Later in the day I realized that I missed my Capital tour that was scheduled for that morning. (I was SO sure it was for the next day).
The Metro! I met a very nice girl who gave me a few etiquette lessons. The most important...on the escalator, walk on the left, ride on the right!
The view on a sunny morning was SO much better! Still a bummer that the Washington Monument was under re-construction so I couldn't even get near it:(
Even the Museum of American History looked SO much friendlier on a sunny day!!
I absolutely loved the "blasts from the past". These things were in my kitchen as a kid. How on Earth could they be in a museum now? And the McDLT....I loved that burger!!!
Next, I headed over to the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History. I LOVED the dinosaurs, but to be honest, I just kinda skimmed through a lot of this one.
These were pretty awesome!!
Look at me! The only other super impressive thing in this museum was all of the jewelry. The Hope Diamond was pretty amazing!!
Next I headed toward the Lincoln Monument. I walked past the Washington Monument and the World War 2 Monument. It was cool, but the fountain was empty. So, there wasn't a whole lot to look at. At that point my back started hurting really bad and I was absolutely starving. I sat down on a bench to rest and eat a snack. It was kinda surreal!
Getting closer to Mr. Lincoln!!
I finally made it and it was SO worth it. Truly awe-inspiring. Reading all the stuff engraved on the walls made me teary. He was an amazing president that had more impact on our country that most ever do. And when I turned around, the view back toward the Washington Monument was breath-taking. Sadly, the reflecting pool was also empty.
After that, I walked down to the Vietnam Veterans Memorial. Another moving sight. All of those names...they seemed unending. I loved this picture of one of the park rangers making a rubbing of a name for a visitor.
After that, I got a second wind, and decided to try to find the White House. I used my Maps ap in walking mode, and after several blocked streets, I finally found a way to get there. It was cool, but not what I was expecting. I guess I didn't realize it was so close to other buildings and it wasn't as big as I had expected. Still cool, though.
At this point I was totally starving and was thinking about buying something from a food truck, when I walked around the block and the only restaurant that anyone had recommended to me to try, was right in front of me! I was SO happy. I sat down at Old Ebbit Grill and order some very late lunch. Travis called, and he had just finished all his Capital Hill visits for the day, so he came and met me there.
We walk around and did a little more sight-seeing. It was such a beautiful afternoon.
Then we headed back to the hotel to get ready for dinner at the Capital Grill!!
No comments:
Post a Comment