Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Washington DC ~ Part 2

 On Friday night we went to dinner at the Capital Grill.  Let me just say, that this was one of those kinds of meals that will only happen a few times in in lifetime for someone like me.  It was crazy over the top.  It was so fun to get all dressed up to go out with Travis!
 Brent, the AIA Executive Director, was "in charge".  We had our own private dining room, and Tony, our waiter had waited on Brent several times in the past.  We had huge seafood platters with crab claws, shrimp, and lobster tails for appetizers.  Then an amazing steak for dinner.  Brent ordered wine, and supposedly it was crazy amazing.  I'm not a big fan of red wine, so I just took a few sips.  It was Brent's birthday, so we also celebrated his birthday while we were there. I had flourless chocolate cake for dessert that was to die for!!  This was definitely a wonderful experience, but I'm not sure that any dinner that costs several hundred dollars per person is for me.  I'm just too frugal to be able to truly enjoy it:)
 The next morning I was up and ready to go again!! I decided to walk from the hotel and it took me right by the Capital.
  I headed straight to the Holocaust Museum to get in line for tickets.  I waited in line for about an hour, but was able to get a ticket for the very next time slot.  It took me a couple of hours to get through that museum.  Another very moving, tearful tour.  Definitely a must do if you are ever in DC.

After the museum, I met up with Travis.  We had plans to go to Arlington for the afternoon.  We took the Metro to a downtown stop and found a place for lunch.  It was a neat little burger place called Ollie's Trolley.  Then we got back on the Metro and headed to Arlington National Cemetery.
 We decided to buy the bus tour so we wouldn't miss anything.  It was us and the rest of the senior citizens visiting Arlington that day:)
 Our first stop was at John F. Kennedy's grave site.  The eternal flame was pretty cool.
 Next, we went to the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.  I was speechless.  I could have stayed and watched all day.  Truly amazing!
While we were there we got to watch a couple of school groups present flower memorials.  They got to actually be a part of the presentation.  Then the bugle player played Taps.  I bawled like a baby.

 Watching the kids get to be a part of this was so cool.  I would love for my kids get to do this with their school at some point.
 
 That night we got to go out by ourselves. I really wanted sushi and Travis was super sweet to find a place nearby that we could walk to.  It turned out to be really authentic.  Maybe a little more than either of us had bargained for, but it was definitely an experience we won't forget!  We took this pic walking back to the hotel. 
 The next morning it was time to get up and ready to head home.  We had a VERY long day of traveling.  Our layover in Atlanta was almost 5 hours.  Thankfully, we had just recently gotten hooked on Downton Abbey.  So, we found a wifi hotspot in the airport and sat and watched several episodes while we were waiting:)
 On the last leg, almost to Ft. Smith!!
We had such a great trip!  I loved getting to play tourist.  I saw so much, learned so much, and had an awesome getaway with Travis!!

No comments: