Thursday, September 6, 2012

Healthy Heart!

So, I started noticing this weird heart "fluttering" thing about 6 months ago.  It really didn't bother me, but was so surprising that it would kinda take my breath away for a second.  I did a little research and decided it probably wasn't a big deal.  I did try to eliminate caffeine from my diet to see if that made a difference, but it didn't.  So, I decided to just ignore it.

And I did for several months.  While I was in Nicaragua I noticed it a lot.  So, after we got back I went to see Dr. White for something completely different, but decided to mention it to him while I was there.  He convinced me to go ahead and have an EKG and some blood work done.  So, I did....and it was all normal.  So, we decided that I would wear a 24 hour Holter monitor to see if they could catch my "flutters" and see what it really was just to be safe.

So, a couple of weeks ago I  wore this cute gizmo and had a whole bunch of wires attached to me for 24 hours. 
I was getting really frustrated, because for the first 22 hours I felt nothing.  Normally that would be great, but I really wanted to catch whatever it was while I was wearing the monitor.  Thankfully, about 8:30 the next morning my heart started going to town.  It did it a whole bunch of times over the next 2 hours.  Thank goodness!

So, I took it back and waited.....and waited.  Dr. White finally called me last Friday and told me that everything was ok.  I am having PVC's, which was what we suspected.  And, I'm having them when I feel them and apparently  when I don't also.  It is annoying for sure, but not dangerous or harmful.  So, he told me I could take some medicine to control it and of course I said NO way.  I'm not big on taking medicine, and certainly not when it's not necessary. 

So, the good new is....I"M GONNA LIVE!!  Ha!  I am really glad to have an answer, and not to have that worry in the back of my mind anymore.  Yay!

No comments: