I left on July 19 for a week long medical mission trip to Nicaragua. It has been a dream of mine for a long time. I was actually scheduled to go on one before (even had a plane ticket purchased) and then found out I was pregnant with Beau. So, this trip was long over due!
I traveled with 11 others including Dr. Aaron White, and my two dear friends Sherry and Cindy. We met a team of 10ish? who had gone down the week before.
Let me just say that this was the HARDEST week of my entire life....physically, emotionally, and spiritually. H.A.R.D. I enjoyed so much of it, but I also learned a lot about myself and what I am and am not capable of. Being in a 3rd world country is hard, but trying desperately to meet the physically and spiritual needs of SO many in such difficult circumstances was VERY trying for this spoiled American.
Here is my stuff....ready to go. We packed VERY light. Our checked bags we saved for all of our medical supplies, so all of my personal stuff had to fit in my carry-on bag and a cinch sack I carried on my back. That alone was tough for me. I like my "stuff". :)
We flew out of the Ft. Smith airport which was very nice. I loved that Travis got to "see me off" at the airport. Let me just add here that the boys had an awesome week!! They traveled and hung out with Nana and PaPa and Nonnie and Poppy. I'm SO grateful for amazing grandparents who took such good care of them so that I could go and Travis could work!!
Sherry and I on our first flight. We looked so happy and carefree....we had NO idea what we were in for! HA!
We spent the night in Dallas and headed to Nicaragua via Miami on Friday morning. This plane was HUGE!! I had never flown in a plane with 2 aisles.
"Welcome to Nicaragua". The first thing we saw when we got off the plane. This trip had MANY obstacles. The Nicaraguan government made it very difficult for us and our medications to make it into the country. We thought we were finally clear, and at the very last check point out of the airport they grabbed about half of our backs to search. Pretty scary stuff (especially since most of the medications in those bags had already been denied because they "changed" the expiration date rules after they were purchased). Praise the Lord, after lots of digging they allowed us to take them with us.
The first day we got to the compound, unpacked, and sorted all of our medicines. They had to all be packaged into individual baggies with instructions in Spanish. I'm talking 25,000 vitamins just as the tip of the iceberg. It was QUITE an undertaking!
The next day we used as our "sightseeing" day. In retrospect I SO wish we had planned this day about half-way through, just to have a recovery day. But, again, we were pretty naive at this point and had a really fun day!!
First we went zip-lining! Absolutely amazing! For $23 we zipped through 17 different stations!!
Sherry and I looking ever so lovely in our gear!
I even went upside down once and did "Superman" style with a guide. A thrill for sure!!
Absolutely beautiful jungle!!
After that we went to a little place called Catarina and did some shopping and ate an authentic Nicaraguan meal. It was really neat!
Absolutely beautiful jungle!!
After that we went to a little place called Catarina and did some shopping and ate an authentic Nicaraguan meal. It was really neat!
Sherry and I waiting on our lunch:)
Cindy and I still waiting...
Some of my happiest moments involved a cold Coke! I am SO spoiled. I get really cranky when I can't get my hands on a Diet Coke. Regular Coke hit the spot when I could get my hands on one!
Our appetizer was fried cheese on a fried plantain with beets on the side. Yum!
I ordered some kind of Hawaiian steak. It was interesting. I just kept reminding myself it was like carne asada that I would get a La Fiesta. Right?? It was actually pretty tasty!
Our view of the "lake" from our table. It was actually a crater from a volcano our something like that....
Cindy and I shopping in the market.
That afternoon we took a boat ride to monkey island. It was another experience for sure!
That afternoon we took a boat ride to monkey island. It was another experience for sure!
We took 2 boats and saw some really amazing sights. There are hundreds of small islands in this lake and people buy an island and build these amazing houses on them. Obviously, a very different population from the people we would be serving later in the week.
A really beautiful house on a private island.
A monkey!!!
Our guided opened a "water banana" and this pretty flower came out!
It was a very fun day of sight-seeing and getting to know each other. The next morning we would start our "mission". Stay tuned!!


No comments:
Post a Comment