Monday, January 5, 2009

Evan's got a new boss!

Today is one of those days I've been looking forward to my whole life! Today Evan asked Jesus to be the "boss of his life". Whew, such a relief...Now I can watch him do daredevil tricks with a little more ease.

We (Evan, Travis, and I) have been talking about asking Jesus into his heart for literally months. We talk and he asks questions then he changes the subject. We have been totally "no pressure" and just let him lead the conversations. Lately it has been very obvious that Evan totally understands right from wrong and got the "sin" factor. It was just a matter of him putting it all together, "getting" it, and taking the step in faith.

Yesterday after church he told us about another boy in Kid's Church that had been saved. He was really excited and I knew another serious conversation was coming. So, last night in bed as he said his prayers he said "thank you for dying on the cross for my sins, Amen". Then he asked me what it meant that he prayed that. I knew what he was getting at and I explained that that was part of the prayer that he would say when he decided to become a Christian. He kept telling me he didn't know what to say but that Peyton's mom let her repeat the right words. I assured him that when he was ready I would help him say the prayer. So, then he said he was ready, but then as we started praying he said, "can I wait and do this after school tomorrow?". So, I said of course and figured that would be the end of the topic for at least a few more weeks.

Fast forward to today after school. As soon as he walked out the kindergarten door he asked me if I remembered what he wanted to do today after school. He had this huge grin on his face and I told him yes. When we got home he pulled me in his room with him and hopped on his bed (our usual prayer place). He said he was ready and would I tell him the words to say. He was just so excited and happy and I've never been more thrilled in my whole life.

In a way I really wanted to wait until Travis was home to share the moment, but Evan was ready RIGHT then and I really wasn't about to argue. So, he said the most beautiful 6 year old prayer and then immediately started bawling! I mean seriously howling. It went on for several minutes and I just kind of sat there not knowing what he was thinking. Then when he finally calmed down he explained that he wanted to tell people but he was nervous. He also said he wanted to wait and tell Travis when he got home. I kept telling him that he didn't have to tell anyone right then, but that just made him cry harder. I think he was bursting to tell someone, but unsure of how to say it. So, we called Nonnie and I told her while he held the phone and cried. She of course, was thrilled and told him so. Finally after about 15 minutes he pulled himself together and then he wanted to call everyone!

It was truly one of those surreal experiences that I want to be able to remember forever. I'm so proud and so excited for him. He wants to go to big church Sunday and tell Brother Ronnie. He can't wait to get baptized so everyone will know that Jesus is the boss of his life!

Good day.

7 comments:

Sharon said...

YEAH!!! So so so exciting! What a fun blessing for you! I pray that I get to be part of that experience with my children! In a way that is selfish and I know that no matter when/what/who I will be excited. I just had a friend tell me that one time and now reading your experience I KNOW I want to keep praying that! I'm so happy for Evan!!!

Tonia Hobbs said...

Congratulations! Brad & I were blessed to pray with Lily and Clayton. Two of my most blessed days ever.
Be sure to sign him up for the "New Christian" Class. They take them to the baptistry and all. Good stuff.

Julie said...

Yea, Evan!

Philip said...

Truly Great News!!!! There is joy in Heaven today!

Sherry Drennan said...

So exciting! I must admit I got teary reading it! I have 2 down and 2 to go!

Mischelle Coston said...

How awesome! I, too, got a bit teary. What an amazing experience, I'm sure.

Heather said...

I am so touched....I'm crying!
You are an amazing mother.