Well, this morning one of my worst fears finally came true. You seriously won't believe this...
We got up and started getting ready for Evan's Upward game. The boys were ready and Evan had to be there early for pictures. I had gotten called off from work this morning, but I still have to be on call, so I told Travis to go ahead and I would come in a few minutes in a separate car (in case I got called in). So, the boys finished eating breakfast and left for the gym.
About 5 or 10 minutes later I was ready. I yelled for Snowy and got her in her kennel and headed out. I got to the gym as Evan's team was lining up for pictures. I watched the team and individual pictures then went and sat down on the bleachers to watch Evan's team warm up. All of a sudden Evan comes running over to me with his glasses in his hand and a lense is missing. He doesn't know where it fell out. So, we start a search of the gym floor for his missing lense. We finally find it and can't get it to go back in. I asked around for a little screwdriver and couldn't find one, so I decided to just run home and get ours.
So, I jump in the car and as I'm leaving the gym I realized that I hadn't seen Blake since I had gotten there about 35 minutes before. I picked up my cell phone, called my mom (who was sitting in the bleachers) and told her to make sure Travis knew were Blake was. As I'm on the phone, she yells at Travis and asks where Blake is. He says he hasn't seen him. I tell mom to ask him when he saw him last and he says "I don't know, he came with Erin".
Oh. my. gosh. Have you ever had one of those panic moments when you heart stops, but it's also beating 1000 times a minute and you see the life of your child flash before your eyes. In that instant I realized that I had left Blake at home!!!! AT HOME ALONE!!!
If you saw me driving through Greenwood Saturday morning (well, you couldn't have seen me because I was just a blur), but if you could have you would have seen me sobbing, crying, and begging God to please let Blake be okay. I just kept thinking it has been almost 45 minutes and he is probably totally panicking, or he tried to go to a neighbors, and then what if he locked himself out of the house, then what if the kidnappers drove by right at that time and saw poor Blake crying on the curb because his parents left him home alone and now he can't even get back in his house...Seriously, I was totally hyperventilating.
So, I decide to call home and talk on the answering machine and see if he will pick up. I call and start saying "Blake, it's mommy, please pick up, just push the green button, Blaker PLEEEEEASE answer the phone"....By this time I truly can hardly breathe and I'm flying up Forrest Park Way going at least 90 miles an hour. I squeel into our driveway and jump out of the car and run into the house screaming "BLAAAAKE"!!!!!
As I run into his room, he just glances up from his computer and says "Oh, is it time to go to Evan's game?".
He didn't even know.
Didn't know that he was home alone for 45 minutes and that kidnappers could have had him practically in another country by now and that I just had a crazy hyerventilating melt down on the way to save him.
So, after I grab him and hug and him cry all over him I ask him what he's thinking. He says nothing, I didn't even know you had left. He was so totally absorbed in his computer game he didn't even hear the phone ring or my panicked message...
After I had calmed myself just a little bit, I asked him what he would have done if he had realized that I had left him. He just looked at me and smiled and said "Get a snack".
So, there you have it. Now everyone truly knows the kind of mother I really am. The kind that can not only leave her child at home alone, but the kind that doesn't even realize it until 45 minutes later. I'm just so thankful Evan's glasses broke. If that hadn't happened, I truly don't know how long it would have taken me to realize that he wasn't there...
All I know is that God was looking out for me today. Seriously, this could have turned into a nightmare. I'm so truly thankful that God's grace is bigger than my stupidness!!!
Saturday, January 31, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
I totally saw you FLYING through Greenwood! I saw you were on the phone and I almost called to see why you weren't at work! That is so scary, but now knowing the whole story it is funny. Only funny because of Blake's response--"get a snack." I love it!! Glad you are all safe!
Hysterical! He's so cool and calm! Just leave plenty of snacks handy when you forget him next time. :o)
OMG! OMG! OMG! How scary! My kids would have called 911 and gotten the whole country involved. Boys are sooo much less dramatic about things.
Girl...Welcome to Motherhood of Boys. My boys are always not answering the phone because of being to "into" a game. So frustrating. I've been there and know the panick of not knowing where a child is. Maybe this would be a good time to post your cell numbers or start teaching them to you kiddos. Just a thought.
Hey, it can happen to anyone. Today we are just on a run non-stop as families. Everything is rush, rush, rush.
I do see a movie down the line for you on this...Nevermind, we already have "Home Alone."
Oh sweetie. I feel for you. I hate that feeling.. I was late getting Drew from preschool a few months ago 45min late, late for Jaden getting off the bus on that same day. When Drew was a baby I could not find him outside this is when we lived in AR. I was outside with him and J turned around and he was gone. I heard a car racing down our road, I thought it was the end. I was screaming and crying for him. Next thing I know he is in the back by our walk out door, where I could not see him as I ran to both sides of the house.. I swear they are going to kill us Erin.. I'm glad he was fine.
I'm glad it all worked out!
P.S. you are a good mama. :)
Oh my goodness...
Post a Comment