Okay, so I have blogged about the new budget we started at the first of the year. I have budgeted myself $75/week for groceries. I have done really well, I think. I have gone over a few dollars a couple of times, but for the most part, it hasn't been too bad. I will say, that I am definitely being MUCH more careful when I shop. I think and re-think everything that goes into my cart. I've also found myself making more from scratch, because it's just SO much cheaper!
This is a look at my grocery trip to Wal-Mart this morning. I spent $42.55. I LOVE to find hamburger meat marked down. Meat is a budget killer. I price-matched eggs at Target for $1.29 and had a coupon for $0.55/2 dozen. I had a coupon for buy a Swiffer starter kit ($4.47) and get a refill free ($7.97). That was a GREAT deal for Swiffer dusters, and that is pretty much the only way I have time to dust is with a Swiffer...
Another good deal I am working on right now is the Gain dryer sheets. The 80ct. boxes are $3.12 and there was a coupon recently for $3.00. I bought some extra coupons on ebay for around $0.35 each. That is making each box $0.47 which you just can't beat. So, I am stocking up for a long time on this deal!
I also found footed PJ's marked down to $3. I bought a pair for Beau for next winter. So, I could probably take $3 off my grocery total, because those should come out of the clothing budget.
My original subtotal before coupons was $62.77 and my subtotal after coupons was $38.17. I'm finding that with a little bit of work ahead of time, I can truly stay with my $75/week budget. I love a challenge!
And here is my sweet little "sick" boy. He is feeling MUCH better today. He unzipped his shirt and I just thought he looked hilarious!! Hopefully he will be feeling well enough to go to MOPS tomorrow! I REALLY hope so, because it is going to be SO good!!
So, anyone else trying a grocery budget? How are you doing?
4 comments:
Not doing so well here! :( I was doing great until we all got sick and then I totally fell off the wagon. My biggest challenge was when I would send Scott into the store. Need to get back on track...
I budget 75$ a week also, and I usually stay under unless there is a great deal I want to majorly stock up on. I don't buy any beef b/c we have 1/2 a cow in our freezer. I do buy chicken! I hit cv's 99c/lb deal last week and got several packs. They have a good price on soda this week so I got some of those. They also have the big stouffers lasagna for 10$ and that is 2 nights of dinner for us, and so easy! I got 3 of them b/c they will be perfect for baseball nights.
That is great, and I can't even get close to that. Our prices here are outrageous along with the $5500 I pay in taxes on our house each year, yuck. Now we need some advice on the meals you make with what you buy. My kids eat so much and it is getting worse...Do tell..
Still going strong! Glad to hear you are doing so well with your budget!
Post a Comment