Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Warning: The Longest Blog Post EVER!

Okay, so we've been a little busy the last few days...Starting with Friday, Evan's first field trip. So here you can see our typical morning, sitting at the bar eating breakfast. The only reason I'm showing this picture is because I am so proud that both boys are actually eating, and the food is actually healthy! (Nonnie, are you proud?) Well, for us cheese toast, yogurt, and milk is practically gourmet for breakfast.

About 8:40 I met Evan's class at the Greenwood fair for his first class field trip. I think he was most excited about getting to ride the school bus. Such a treat! :)Everyone in kindergarten and 1st grade was at the fair Friday morning (yes, all 600 of them). So let me tell you, when you get 600 sweaty 5-7 year olds, in 3 small fair barns, with 100 degree heat, it makes for a PLEASANT time for all! Here is Evan in front of a chicken coop (notice he his about a head taller than the other kids around him). These chickens were even laying eggs!! The kindergarteners were AMAZED!
We walked around a while longer when Evan saw something he was very excited about. (See picture below) So, he asks me what "it" is.

I look and see a small, very furry, kinda lamma looking animal and I said "Evan, I really have no idea what that is. Let's go ask the nice girl feeding it". So, I proceed to go over to a girl in an FFA t-shirt, who looks very official with a bottle in "it's" mouth, and I say "What kind of animal is that?" (in my most serious, interested in animals voice). She says "IT"S A COW!!!!". What?? Now I'm feeling like a really big idiot, but I look at Evan and say very officially "It's a cow", and he looks up at me and says "Duh mom, I meant what it she feeding it". So, my cover is blown, I'm not FFA material, in the least! But, more good news. At the GREENWOOD fair, not only to you see farm animals, but also camels and kangaroos! Yep, here is Evan trying to pet a camel at the fair. You just never know what you might see at the Greenwood fair!
On Saturday we finally got to go out on the lake with my dad in his new boat. He bought the boat at the first of the summer, and took it out once with Travis and the boys while I was in Nicaragua, and then he got the spider bite. That was the end of any boating activity until Saturday.
We went down to Blue Mountain and were all excited about trying to tube behind the boat. We decided that the lake traffic might be bad, because of Labor Day weekend, so we put in at a pretty obscure little boat dock, a little off the beaten path. Everything was going great, until we start noticing that the water seemed a little shallow. Thankfully Dad had Freda (his boat GPS), and we looked over and saw the water depth was 0.6 feet. Not 6 FEET, but 0.6 FEET. Yes, just a few inches. And we are NO WHERE NEAR the dock. I have to admit, I totally panicked! But, Poppy was a trooper and we raised up the motor and pressed on.
We finally got out in some deep water and got to try out the tube! Unfortunately, it was a borrowed tube, and we discovered A FEW leaking spots. We patched it with a few Band-Aids (Ha,Ha, I know, but that was ALL we had) and managed a few runs before it deflated. We are looking forward to the NEW tube Poppy has all picked out to order for next time!
Sunday we decided to go up to Travis's parents house in Springdale for a short visit. I told the boys to go straighten up their rooms and pick out a few things to take and this is what I found:
Evan had started looking for something in his underwear/sock drawer and couldn't find it. So, he took everything out and re-folded and arranged his drawer. Pretty impressive for a 5 year old. This is the side of Evan that I love to see!!! He does like things to be in order!
We spent all afternoon Sunday with NaNa, PaPa, Trisha, Jody, and Malory. It was a fun, relaxing afternoon. Congrats to Trisha-she's expecting a new baby in the near future!!! It was so fun to watch the boys play with Malory. They hadn't seen each other for a while, but they always fall into this rhythm of playing that amazes me. They act like brothers and sisters, playing, then fighting, tattling on each other, then playing again. I never had cousins nearby to really grow up with, so I'm glad the boys have Malory. This is a picture of the boys and Malory playing with these huge stuffed bears. Everytime we leave Becky hides them, and everytime they find them again. They alternate between fighting over them, brushing them, and beating each other with them! Fun times!
So, as you can see, we had a super busy weekend! And to top things off, I didn't make it back in time to drop off my Growing Kids stuff on Monday. So, I had to go today, after school, IN THE RAIN. But, it's done now, all but picking up my check! YEA~!~!

4 comments:

Sharon said...

Great post! My favorite part is the story of the boat...the shallow water AND using band aids to patch the holes!

Sherry Drennan said...

I love the cow story. It made me laugh out loud! It sooo sounds like a day at the farm w/ me! I wondered what you guys were up to. I was trying not to stalk you about your next post. :0)

April, Steve & Lowery said...

Love the stories, you are making me laugh! I can just picture the fun at the Greenwood fair. The boys are precious, I just can't believe they are so grown up. And, you are in trouble - you were in Springdale and did not call!!!

Anonymous said...

I am sitting in a cube trying so hard not to bust out laughing at the cow story! hahaha! I'm so happy to know you have a blog, so now Brady and I can keep up with what's new with you guys. Miss you!(this is joanie, by the way)