Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Progress!!!

I haven't wanted to blog about this, just in case we didn't actually follow through, and finish.  But, now that we are over halfway there, I think I am safe:).  Travis and I started doing the C25K program 5 weeks ago.  I was SO incredibly out of shape.  I have been having knee trouble for a couple of years and it has been my excuse not to exercise.  Well, I went to the orthopedic doctor several times, and he told me it wasn't something that could be surgically fixed, but just needed exercise. So, I decided that if I wasn't going to make it worse, I was going to go for it!

I have NEVER run more than probably 30 seconds at a time in my whole life.  It's just not something I've ever been able to do.  But, my boys and Travis have run several 5K's and I have always wanted to give it a try.  So, Travis and I started running.  I seriously could barely run the 60 seconds at a time the first week.  And, my knee would absolutely KILL me every step.  But, I decided to push on. 

Tonight, I ran 20 minutes without stopping!!!!  That is AMAZING for me!!!  I feel like I am over the hump, and that I may really be able to do this!  Now I know, it wasn't pretty.  In fact, it was probably down-right ugly.  But, I did it!  Travis has been SO amazing.  He has run right with me the whole time, even when I know he could totally take off and leave me in the dust.  It has made this so much better, just getting to do it with him.  He is a good encourager!!!

This has actually been really fun.  I always run with either Travis or one of the boys.  We are running around our neighborhood and surrounding areas, so it isn't boring at all.  And the best part...my knee almost never hurts anymore!!!  Woo Hoo!!

We have about 4 weeks left to finish the program.  We are planning to run in the Christmas 5K in Greenwood this year.  If we do it, I'm sure it won't be pretty.  At some points, I think I could probably power walk faster than my running pace:).  But, I'm going to keep working at it.  Maybe I won't be the last person to cross the finish line:)

No comments: