Monday, February 7, 2011

Walgreens on the budget!

Well, yesterday was my first trip to Walgreens on the new budget.  I have budgeted myself $15 per week to spend at Walgreens.  Last week I didn't go at all, so I had $30 to spend.  I spent exactly $45.00.  So, in a way, I totally failed!  But, after I got home and spread everything out, I realized that I should have used $10 out of the grocery envelope, because a lot of this is food.  So, I paid back the Walgreens envelope $10 and I also have a $5 Register Reward to use next week.  In the end, I still have $15 to spend next week, so I'm feeling better.

I also know that Walgreens sales go in cycles and that the first week of the month is always the BEST for good deals.  I have been holding off buying spaghetti sauce and peanut butter becuase I knew this deal was coming.  Same with diapers...a Huggies deal ususally comes once/month. 

Anyway, I felt like  I did really well.  I spent $39.42 on my first transaction and got back $14 in Register Rewards.  I spent $5.58 on the my second transaction (I also used my $14 in Register Rewards).  Then I got back a $5 Register Reward on the last transaction to save for next week.  My receipts say I saved a total of $68.22.  Not bad!!!

In case anyone is interested in the details...On the first transaction:
Charmin $3.99 with in-ad coupon +$1 manufacturers coupon=$1.99
Pop-tarts $1.88 x 2 + $1.00/2 manu coupon=$1.38 each
Colgate 2/$5 + (2) $1 manu coupons and a $3 Register Reward printed =(FREE!!)
Hand Sanitizer $3.99 + $4 Register Reward printed= (FREE)
Hershey's mini bags $2/5 + $2/2 Walgreens coupon (from book by the front door) and $2/2 manu coupon=$0.50 each
Huggies diapers $8.99/pack, $2 manu x 2=$6.99/pack
Huggies wipes $2/50/pack, (2) $0.75 and (1) $0.50 manu=$1.75 & $2.00 / pack
 **Buy $25 of Huggies-$5 Register Reward printed**
Ocean Spray juice $2.99 + $2 Register Reward printed=$0.99

Total with tax=$39.46

2nd transaction
Ragu spaghetti sauce $1.50 x 3 + $0.75/2 manu =$3.75/3
Skippy peanut butter $1.50 x 4 + $0.50/2 manu = $5.50/4
Lipton tea $2.50 x 2 + (2) $0.60 manu = $3.90/2
**Spend $15 on the above, $5 Register Reward printed**
All detergent $6.99 on sale B1G1F + (2) $1.50/1 manu = $2 each
1 dozen eggs=$0.99

Total with tax after $14 Register Rewards = $5.58 + $5 Register Reward (to save for next week)

I know that is a lot of details...but for those of you who have been asking, I hope that helps!!!

As far as the rest of the budget goes...so far so good!!  I budgeted $75/week for groceries and I had $5 left over last week (after my $10 at Walgreens).  So, we'll see how I do this week!!

4 comments:

GlitteryKitchenTable said...

Are all of the coupons you used from newspaper or online ones? When does the week for these deals end?

Erin said...

Ashley,

They were a mix of newspaper and online. All of the Huggies were online. The flyer goes through next Saturday!

Tonia Hobbs said...

I am trying to do $75 a week too. . .I spent $107 today at WalMart. Do you have some budget friendly recipes? I did the best I could. . .but failed.

Katie said...

They must know you on a first name basis, lol!! You rock!