Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Rear-Facing...

Several people have asked lately, so I thought I would share my car seat thoughts...

Beau is still rear-facing and will be for a long time.  The reason?  The new American Academy of Pediatrics recommendations are that children rear-face until 2 years of age or the maximum capacity their seat allows.  There are SO many reasons for this.  So, we made the decision to keep Beau rear-facing after he turned 1.  His seat is safe rear-facing up to 40 pounds, so he will stay that way for a while.  I don't know if he will stay all the way to 40lb (at the rate he is growing, that will probably be kindergarten), but he will stay for a good while.

I love this picture.  He is as comfy as can be!  He has no idea what front-facing is like, so he isn't missing anything!
Sweet sleeping baby, SAFE and sound!!


I watched this video and was instantly convinced. 




If you have small children, I HIGHLY encourage you to watch this.  A lot of research has been done in this area, and the video is very compelling.  The recommendations are explained and video leaves no room for arguement! 

Don't worry, I'm not judging anyone! I promise!!  Just sharing what we have decided is best for us and why!!

If you have older kids I would encourage you to google the new recommendations for booster seats, also.  Again, you will prbably be surprised, but we all want are kids to be as safe as possible!!!

3 comments:

Jasmin said...

Love this post!! But you knew I would :D I'm loving that even the new AAP recommendations are to RF till 2!

GlitteryKitchenTable said...

We only did till 15 months with boys. We will definitely be going longer with El!!

Angela Steinfeldt said...

Thanks for sharing! I knew it would be awhile before I had to think about this with Brenden, so I hadn't done any research on it yet. I will definately keep B rear-facing till 2 now!