Monday, April 4, 2011

Uncle Cotton's Auction Weekend

The first weekend of Spring Break we headed up to Kansas City for the estate auction for Travis's Uncle Cotton.  We went up on Saturday so that we could have some fun and shop a little.  We got up there and it was FREEZING and raining.  So, we loaded up and went to the mall:)  It was fun to shop in a big mall and spend some time with Travis's family. 

Then we went to eat dinner.  Beau was TERRIBLE!!  I should have known it was a sign of how the night would go:)  After dinner we headed back to the hotel and let the big boys swim.  It just doesn't matter what kind of pool, or how hot or cold it is, my boys LOVE to swim. 

 The pics are out of order, but Travis's mom and aunt had discovered this amazing little cupcake shop the day before.  So, we went and got a dozen of the most delicious cupcakes I have EVER had!!  It was called "Small Cakes" and if you ever see one, you must stop!!!  I didn't think to take a picture until they were half gone:)
 Travis and I had this brilliant idea to make Beau a little "cave" around his pack & play in the hotel room.  It sounded like a great idea.  Not so much.
 
 To start with, he was wired from all the Dr. Pepper he drank at supper.  We were tryng anything to keep him from throwing food on the table next to us. 

Here he is making himself right at home in the hotel room.  (Btw, can you believe it took that much stuff to stay over 1 night).  Ridiculous!
 Here were the boys hanging out together in bed.  Kinda cute.
 Not quite so cute.
 Downright ugly.
 Needless to say, the cave didn't work.  He screamed. So I picked him up and walked with him.  He screamed somemore.  Travis picked him up and he screamed BLOODY MURDER.  The kind of scream that will truly wake up the WHOLE HOTEL!!  It was bad.  So, I tried laying him in our bed.  He screamed.  After about 2 hours of screaming, he finally passed out right in the middle of Travis and I's bed.  Then of course, he was up and at 'em by around 6:00 the next morning.  Needless to say, it was a miserable night!  We all agreed that we won't be staying in a 1 room hotel again for a VERY LONG TIME!!

THe next day we went to the estate auction.  I had never been to one, but I was pretty surprised.  There were TONS of people there.  I didn't get any good pictures at all.  This was taken as they were auctioning off the household stuff on the driveway.  The auction started at 11:00 that morning and didn't end until after 6:00.  They were auctioning constantly the whole time.  It was pretty fun, and I think it would make a fun hobby. 

It was hard for the family, though.  Seeing all of your loved one's posessions all spread out for everyone to look at and ultimately buy and take away was hard.  It reminded me that it is fun having "stuff" in this life, but you sure don't get to take any of it with you.  Makes me glad to know that I'm going to heaven and don't need any of that stuff anyway:)
So, after a long day at the auction we got some dinner and headed home.  It made for a really fun, but fast weekend away!  Thanks Nana and PaPa for inviting us:)

No comments: