Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Evan & Poppy

Evan has been in a batting slump.  He struck out several times during the last few games and it just kills him.  It's hard to practice batting when you play pitching machine.  We just don't have a pitching machine in the backyard:)  But... we do have Poppy!!

After the last game dad made the comment that Evan needed to practice batting, and I explained my dilema...no pitching machine in the backyard and going to the batting cages with an infant is very tricky.  So, he volunteered to come pickup Evan after school and take him to the batting cages for some practice. 

So, yesterday afternoon Evan and Poppy took their first trip to practice batting.  From what they both said, it was a successful trip!  Evan is certainly feeling more confident, and dad said they got some "bugs" worked out of his swing.  But, the more important part was what a great time Evan had with his Poppy.  He was SO excited about getting to go in the first place.  I think he is starting to realize just how blessed he is to have grandparents that are so involved in his life.  It's not always obvious at the time, but Evan just LOVES the personal attention he gets being one-on-one. 

Then to make things even better, Poppy to Evan to Whole Hog to eat dinner.  And, he let him order ribs!!  Evan could eat his weight in ribs if he was given the chance!!  When he is with us, I make him order from the kids menu (I'm just not willing to pay for a slab of ribs for my 7 year old:)  But, Poppy got him the RIBS!!  Needless to say, Poppy was a hero at our house last night!!

I'm so thankful for my dad!!  The semi-retired life has given him the chance to really spend time with the boys and for that I am very grateful!!!

3 comments:

meeksmiles33 said...

That is so sweet Erin. I think it is important for the kids to get some one on one time. It is tough to do when there are three of them. :)

Anonymous said...

Grandparents are the biggest blessing to our family too. I don't know what we would do without them!

Sherry Drennan said...

We couldn't hold it together w/o our Mimi. We ♥ grandparents!