My MaMaw passed away on Thursday August 25. She was 86 years old. It was a VERY, VERY sad day for me, but it was the greatest day of my MaMaw's life. I know that for certain. She was an amazing Christian woman and she has been ready to "go home" in her words, for a very long time.
When I was a little girl, I would go and stay with her, and she would take me to church with her. She went to a small Baptist church in Hoxie, AR. She taught young girls (probably junior high-they seemed so big to me) and I would go with her. She loved those girls and would have them over for lunch at her house. She was never ashamed of her God and would share about him to anyone who would listen. I hope I can be like her some day.
She was the MOST amazing cook in the whole world. I have such fond memories of going to Sunday lunch at her house ever week. All of my aunts, uncles, and cousins would be there. We would eat and eat and eat. She cooked the best mac & cheese, chicken and dressing, chocolate gravy, coconut pie, hamburgers, fried okra, banana pudding, I could go on and on...I just don't know how she did it. She would go to church and then put on a spread to feed 20+ people for lunch every week.
When I was pregnant with Blake she had a stroke. From that point on she wasn't able to live alone. She lived in a nursing home in Walnut Ridge for a short time, then came to Batesville to live near my parents. My dad has taken care of her ever since. I have watched him and admired him for everything he did for MaMaw. She moved with them when they went to Marshall, MO and then she moved again when they came to Greenwood. My dad went to see her almost every day for 12+ years. I just hope and pray that my boys watched their Poppy and learned how to care for someone you love.
She has struggled and been frustrated ever since her stroke. She hasn't been able to walk at all for several years. Her health had deteriorated pretty quickly over the last few months. But she made one thing clear, she was ready to go whenever God called her home!
As much as I didn't want to see her go, it was a relief to finally know that she was with her Jesus and free from her body that wouldn't do what she wanted it to do. I miss her so much, but am so thankful for all the years I got to spend with her. She was the most loving, generous, forgiving, hard-working, strong, self-sacrificing woman that I've ever known. One of the most important things I think I ever heard her say was "it ain't in a feelin' ". She was one smart lady.
I am SO thankful that my boys got to know my MaMaw and spend so much time with her. She came to all their birthday parties, Easter dinners, Christmas's, and Mother's Days that she could until she just wasn't physically capable anymore.
Here she is on Christmas 2005.
This is Evan's 3rd birthday in 2005.
I absolutely love this picture of the boys with MaMaw on Easter 2006.
MaMaw and Dad on Christmas 2008.
Me and my MaMaw on her birthday in October 2009. I was obviously about to pop with Beau!
We have her a pink Snuggie! She didn't have a clue what it was, but she loved it anyway:)
This was Thanksgiving day 2009 after Beau was born on November 11. It was her first time to see him. She was SO happy!
Evan, Mamaw, and Beau in 2010.
MaMaw holding Beau. She wasn't too sure about it, because he was VERY squirmy!!
She loved him so much. She loved all my boys. I loved that she could never remember Evan's name...he was always "that least one".
As I write this, the tears are rolling. I miss her so much. But, I wouldn't bring her back for anything. I know she is rejoicing in heaven. At her funeral we sang "Victory in Jesus". It was her favorite song, and I know as she looked down, she knew she finally had her victory!!!
I'm so thankful for that I had such an amazing MaMaw who loved me no matter what. I can't wait to see her again some day!!





No comments:
Post a Comment