The first night was awful! I don't know that I've ever been in so much pain for so long with no end in sight. It's the unknown that was the worst, I think. I was ready to get up and head to the doctor. Bless my sweet mother-in-law's heart...she spent the night (totally unprepared with nothing with her) so that she could get the kids off to school and stay with Beau while Travis took me to see Dr. Bolyard.
My first cast from the ER was awful. It was below my elbow and being able to turn my arm over was what was so terribly painful. I realized really quickly that it was pretty much impossible to get ready with only my right hand. Travis put my contacts in for me this morning. It was the last time I would have them in for weeks.
Seeing the x-rays was really freaky. I knew what it felt like, but seeing it just made my stomach drop. My wrist was in BAD shape. Really bad.
After Dr. Bolyard examined me, they put on another cast that was much more comfortable. It was over my elbow, which meant I couldn't even get my hand to my face, but it helped so much with the pain. We scheduled surgery for my wrist for the next Tuesday morning. My thumb was so swollen it didn't even look like a thumb. Travis brought me home and Becky headed home and my mom came over.
Thank God for "my girls"!!! I desperately needed to see their faces. So, everyone gathered at my house to have a "hashing it out" session. Sharon came down and brought Whitney. We sat on the couch and just re-hashed all of the days events. Sherry and I really needed to vent, and it was good to have my best friends around that day. I was in mourning for sure. It was really starting to sink in that I was going to be pretty helpless and handicapped for several weeks. The doctor had also told me that morning not to ever expect my wrist to be the same again. That's hard for someone who is totally dominate left handed.
They even brought Sherry and I a bag of treats!!
These 2 friends were SO good. They played together and played Scrabble with Nonnie all afternoon long.
Melissa stopped by and brought Sherry and I both a plate of brownies and chocolate covered strawberries. So good!! And so thankful for thoughtful friends!
Snapchat is one of our favorite ways to communicate. The problem is..they disappear. So glad Sherry "captured" a few of these for memory sake!
Ugh. I had to keep that arm elevated for weeks!!
As hard as this day was....it was such a blessing. I truly have the BEST friends. I couldn't make it through this life without their constant love and support.
And, I can't end this post without mentioning my parents. They truly became my caregivers, babysitters, and chauffeurs for the next several weeks. My mom stayed with me every day any time Travis wasn't home for a couple of weeks. She took over all my household chores, laundry, cleaning, cooking, and running the kids around. She also helped me take a bath, wash my hair, and even dried and straightened my hair numerous times. I am SO thankful that they live nearby, that mom is retired now, and that are so willing to help me with everything I needed!!
No comments:
Post a Comment