Well here goes....
Guest blogging again by Travis.
Erin and I had discussed going on a mission trip together after my trip to Guatemala in October of 2012. When our church announced a medical mission trip for August - Erin was definitely on board. She had been on multiple medical trips to Nicaragua and wanted to go to Guatemala after my trip in 2012. I was "on the fence" because of the time - which was the week before school starts - and I didn't want to take the place of a medical person. After prayer, talking, more prayer and a chat with our associate pastor, he convinced me to at least put my name on the waiting list. I started WAY DOWN the list, but by the time a definite commitment was needed, I was part of the group. I continued to struggle with whether I should be going or not, but now I know I was supposed to. It's always interesting how God gives you perspective.
So here's a look into our week in Guatemala.
There's no better way to start a trip than from a MAHG designed airport - the best airport bathrooms in the US plus it was close to home. Here's Erin & I after checking in at Fort Smith Regional Airport. Nonnie came by to see us off.
The whole group - all 18 of us. We had a great time serving together.
The Bartlett's and the Drennan's. We loved having them on this trip. It was fun to have friends/neighbors to serve with.
Next stop ATL. See you in a week Fort Smith.
The flight from FSM to ATL is a little over an hour. We had left Fort Smith around noon, so by the time we landed in Atlanta we were a little hungry. With a 2.5 hour layover, we were off to the food court for our last American meal for a week. We chose Panda Express of course.
Having a little fun on the plane. Next stop Guatemala City.
We had a little 45 minute delay, leaving Atlanta. Ready to take off.
After landing in Guatemala City, retrieving all of our bags and going through immigration we all boarded 3 vans and headed to the Arkansas House. We were tired and hungry. After getting settled in we had spaghetti, salad and garlic bread for supper.
Erin and I's sleeping quarters for the night. Yes, it is cool at night in Guatemala City- thus the blankets. We will not need these the rest of the week. Guatemala City is in the mountains and similar in climate to San Diego or San Francisco, not too hot, not too cold. We will be headed southwest from the city out of the mountains to the coastal plains. The village we serve in is surrounded by banana fields and is around 10 miles from the Pacific Ocean. Very tropical and very hot.
The Arkansas House gives us a great place to stay the day we arrive in Guatemala and the day before we leave to go back home. The house has wifi and we were able to facetime our family before calling it a night.
No comments:
Post a Comment