Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The FENCE!

We have been talking about building the piece of fence that goes between our backyard and our neighbor's for years.  We haven't been able to leave Snowy out in the backyard because #1 we didn't want her in the neighbors yard and #2 the neighbors sawed off the bottom of their gate so she could escape out their side anyway.  I have a theory that Snowy is the cause of some of Beau's eczema problems, so we decided that it was time.

We have gotten quotes in the past to have someone come build it, and it was just TOO expensive for something we knew we could do ourselves.  I use the term "ourselves" loosely...Travis could build it and I could assist:)  So, we broke down and ordered the materials.  Being thrifty, we decided to go pick it up ourselves, to save the delivery fee...
Blake and I spent most of the afternoon on Friday unloading the trailer and getting the wood spread out all over the back yard:)  Evan had an injury the night before (sliced 3 fingers with the tape measure) so he was out for the day.  I think Blake and I both had about 3 heat strokes each, but we got it unloaded:)
 Saturday morning Travis got up bright and early and got started.  By the time the rest of us got up, he had all the post holes dug.  I felt pretty guilty, but we all jumped in to help from there.
 The framing was SLOW going.  Blake and Evan helped and I tried to help as much as I could while also watching Beau.  I think it was about 102 degrees most of the day, so I really didn't want Beau outside much.
 Travis followed the shade with his chair and took breaks in the shade.  I kept everyone supplied in water and Gatorade.
 Blake helped some, but what he mostly wanted to do was get scrap pieces of wood and hammer and drill them together:)  I took 2 trips to Yeagers that day, a trip to Poppy's to get some tools, and a trip to Sonic.  I was trying to be helpful:)
 Coming along...
 When Beau went down for a nap I was able to get out and really help.  I'm thankful that I don't have to work outside in the heat everyday.  I just couldn't do it!
 Evan LOVED this project.  He was pretty much glued to Travis's side most of the day.
 I love this picture...all 4 boys working!
 If Evan couldn't help, then he was watching closely.  I think he could probably build a fence tomorrow if someone would let him!
 The bags of Quikrete we 60 pounds and Evan couldn't quite carry them from the trailer to the fence, so he used the skateboard to help.  Pretty ingenious, I thought:)
 When Beau woke up, Blake helped watch him on the deck so that I could keep helping.  The pickets are finally going up!!
 This is where we stopped Saturday night.  Travis had been at it for about 13 hours at this point.
 We got the rest finished up on Sunday afternoon.  This a terrible picture, but proof that I was there:)
 Making more progress...
 And finally...IT'S FINISHED!!!!!!
 This was a tough project, but it was also kinda fun.  It's pretty exciting to look out and know that we built it together.  Lots of memories made.

And now, Snowy can have friends over to play!  Carly is staying over for a few days until we leave to go to Las Vegas.  Then they both will be going to Dr. Nick's for a while:)
I'm so thankful for such a hard working husband who is willing to do projects like this for us.  He's pretty amazing!!!

No comments: