Okay, so I finished the book Radical by David Platt yesterday, and I'll admit, I am completely worn out. This book has rocked me like nothing else has in a long time. It has made me think about myself, and my Christianity in a way that, to be honest, hasn't been pretty.
I think I'm having one of those moments where I finally get that I AM NOTHING without God. Nothing that I have or ever will have is really mine, it's all God's. (meaning not only finances, but my family, relationships, and even my salvation).
I've struggled a lot with "what is my purpose" and with trying to develop a closer daily walk with God. This book has been a wake up call to me that...hello, my purpose is to tell others about Christ. Plain and simple. Do I do that every day as I live my "mommy" life. NO.
I've built this great life for myself surrounded by my "bubble" of Christian friends. Life feels pretty good, until I realize that God didn't put me on this earth to be comfy. The life of a Christian shouldn't always be comfy and cozy. I don't mean that everyone should pick up and move to Africa. I know enough to know that I haven't been called there...yet. But, what I do know is that I blow opportunies every.single.day. to share my faith with others.
I was sitting in the middle school big group during Life Group last week and one of the kids shared their life verse. It was Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes. I felt very convicted right then and there. Because, sometimes I act like I am ashamed. I don't speak up when I should. I am very possibly missing the chance to help save someone from eternal life in Hell because I'm too ashamed/embarressed to speak up.
I'm realizing that I have changes to make in my life. Maybe they wouldn't seem too "radical" to some people, but for me, they are huge. I have to learn to say "yes" EVERY SINGLE TIME. I have to be willing, to do whatever God asks of me. There are some pretty basic things that God has instructed us, as Christians to do, that I'm not doing. How in the world can he trust me to do BIG things, when I can't even do the little things.
I'm so excited for our home group tomorrow night. We have had some awesome discussions that have really helped me "work through" my thoughts about this book. It has been challenging in a big way. I'm also thankful for a church who does challenge me. I'm thankful for Brother Ronnie and his willingness to preach the truth, even when it hurts. And at least for me, sometimes it does.
3 comments:
Yes! I am right there with you, girl! Our small groups have been so encouraging and we are really enjoying it. Thanks so much for opening up your home. Can't wait to see where this leads.
Erin, I love this post from you, and I am still reading Radical, but it is HARD, a BIG eyeopener, and your post even made me think about myself, I am praying hard that I will get over the fact that I am scared to speak in a group, but I could so sit down and share my story if I really thought about others and how it might help them, and how it could change how someone thinks, from no believing in God to totally believing. I think your a great person and a big influence in my daughters life. Thank you being her teacher. You and Mrs. Dana , I couldn't have ask for better We love you!!
This is awesome Erin. All of us are called to be missionaries.I don't live in the bubble anymore at all. Although I love the south it is somewhat of a artifical environment. So many believe or grew up in church so you are left thinking are they christians or do they just act like christians? Living here is back to reality. There are many comfortable people here and they don't need the lord at all and don't have a problem with just moving on. I read the book and I have so much work to do but what a challenge and thank God for His grace and Mercy as we stumble along the way. I am proud of you!!
Post a Comment